Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fame is a Vapor

June 26th 2010

I've had quite the event past two weeks. Everything from messy children, whimpering fathers, "celebrity" sightings, and being as busy as a I can be. The resort has started to get very busy lately which is great, only that two weeks ago it was busy with children. Now, don't get me wrong, I like kids.. to a point. But lets just say, time and a place honey! Those little nuggets don't need to be running around a fine dining restaurant licking the windows, throwing mac n' cheese on the floor, and spilling milk all over the table!! We have plenty of other "kid friendly" outlets they can go to, AND day cares available should they want to get a full dining experience. I mean.. it's like waiting on Octomom. We see we have a reservation for 10 people, it's pretty exciting, potential for a big bill/big tip. Then 2 adults and 8 little children come in... and I mean toddlers! I can understand a mature eight year old.. I even knew how to cut a steak at that age.. but not one over five! That's a mess waiting to happen!
To top that off, I got stuck SA'ing (server assisting.. STILL) for the worst server there, Tim. Tim kind of looks like a heavier version of Vince Vaughn, with a pie shaped face. He is REALLY nice. But his skills... lack. I swear I never see him through the whole night, he forgets to set his tables, he forgets courses, he doesn't clear settings, he doesn't clear at all! He leaves so much shit on the table it makes my job 10 times harder! I spend half the night running around looking for him so I can communicate with him what needs done to help set us up for success. All I want to do is help him, while trying to help the guests. Not so easy.
WEEK TWO
This week we had a corporate buy-out. The one hotel on property can be bought out. A famous Pittsburgh Hockey Player bought out the hotel and hosted a golf tournament. We were so busy setting up buffets. I had to be at work by 5:30 am! It was so interesting to see how excited everyone was to see the "famous" sports stars. Everyone from Pittsburgh hockey, baseball, and football players were all there. Some other team players were there too. Sports are very big in the Pittsburgh area. I never got into it, I knew about two people. Even the kitchen staff was coming out just to take a peak at "The goalie who won us the NHL" or "The coach of Notre Dame." In Los Angeles I would see/work with famous people all the time and have similar reactions to some, It's funny how subjective it can be.

Meanwhile back at home. It was family reunion prep time! I was working every day and would come home and here's my dad. "Kyle I need you to clean your room"... my room was spotless. No seriously.... maybe there would be a hair. He wanted me to FUMIGATE my room in bleach! I understand that I'm living at home and there will be "consequences" but, I don't think my dad understands that he to, has some consequences. Another chore came up and my father said, "I need you to move this coffee table and the dining room table." Now, we teach my little four year old nephew to ask nicely and say please. I'm constrained enough living here, so I VERY calmly and nicely said to him "Dad, for me, could you please consider asking me rather then telling me, I know that I would be much more motivated to do something if you could please try to do that" Exact words... It was my attempt to better communicate with him, and build an even stronger relationship. He screams "NO! I DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE MYSELF FOR YOU! THIS IS MY HOUSE!!!" ... I ran to my room crying like I did when I was a child. Attempt failed.
The family reunion went well. It was so wonderful to see my only living grand-ma, my cousin, aunt, uncle, mom, brother, sister two nephews, and of course my dad. Tons of local inbreds were there referring to me as a strong "football" player type... I smiled through it all and did my best to "get to know" everyone. Towards the end of the night three of my girlfriends came over and we drank the night away and danced on the back porch. We had a wonderful time reminiscing about old times.
The following tuesday just about all the family had left, and we had another party at the house. A season premiere party for a T.V. show that I worked on earlier this year. There was one scene that I guess you could say I was "featured" in. First time I saw myself on T.V. It was pretty neat.
My hours have cut back now at the resort because the buy-out is over. It should pick up after July 4th.
The fitness challenge is going well. Just got a hot romania personal trainer! He's really helping me with lifting weights!
Been crying about L.A. to my manager, who lived in L.A. for 1o years and "gets it". I miss the beach, the hikes, the sun, the different air... but if I look at the big picture, I guess I'm not missing much right now... right?

~This is what I have resorted to~

KMS

No comments:

Post a Comment