Friday, June 4, 2010

Service with a Smile!

June 4th 2010

It's amazing how rude people can be. I understand that you are going to get the occasional guest that may want that extra touch. I mean, they are spending thousands of dollars to stay at a luxury resort. However, there comes a point when someone is just plain rude. I seemed to have many "rude" guests lately. I had a table the other day that was so picky... they could have written a new menu! Other tables we're laughing because they were giving me such a hard time. I'm going to offer a little advice. If your server asks if you need anything, do your absolute best to see what you need at that time, if you continuously ask them for something every SINGLE time they come back.... it's HIGHLY exhausting.... and you're not the only one's they're taking care of!
Another thing, if you are sitting in a restaurant and notice that you are the last couple sitting in there, have finished eating/drinking and it's late... consider that the restaurant is closed and you may want to move to a bar. I had a table stay 3 hours after we closed the other night.. just talking and typing on there computers! Imagine.. we close at 9:00 and I didn't leave until 1:00 am! Due to our style of service, we can't say anything to them. At Mysty Meadows... the customers/guests are ALWAYS RIGHT! They can get whatever they want, if we have access to it... If they want a dessert that they had 2 miles a way at another outlet.. we will have to run and get it as fast as we can with making it look like no effort!
Now, picture having to wait on someone that you really don't like. One of my best friends, Nia, ex-boyfriends came in. Tom and Nia were together for about 2 years and he treated her terribly. It really has nothing to do with me, I just didn't like how he treated my friend. What did I do? Went above and beyond to provide good service! I got to know the new girl he was with, and even gave him a complimentary dessert!
Prior to working that evening, I had to go to train out different outlets on the resort. While there I ran into a girl I went to high school with. Like most high school kids, I went through difficult times. My difficult time consisted of a guy friend of mine claiming I touched him inappropriately, beating the pulp out of me, never clearing the air with our families, or resolving the issue, and then he tragically dies in an accident. So every time after that, the family would see me, and be reminded of this horrible person who "hurt" there son/brother while he was alive. Well.. after years of therapy.. I'm better.. because I know the truth. In any event. His sister works at The Resort. Luckily she works in a different outlet, however we tend to move around, so there is a possibility that I will work with her. We acted like we didn't even know each other. As well we should, it has been almost 10 years, she doesn't know me.
I got to spend some quality time with Claire, Jacob, and Justin the other day. I took the 4 year old Justin to the playground while Claire tried to pump her very large breasts! I had a good talk with her about reality. I think it's finally starting to sink in a little more. She has been using my parent as crutches for years, and eventually crutches break. My mom has spoke up and said she is "taking care of herself" and refuses to come home and help her. Which I totally support. Bill has to deal with Claire and her absent husband EVERYDAY.. I think he's reaching his maximum. I do feel for my sister, but it's obvious that she is a little slower, however I think the new baby is a big wake-up call for life.
I got yet, another phone call and job offer for a gig in L.A. A friend of a friend is producing a sketch comedy T.V. show and she wanted me to come in "at least read for it, if not just do it" Again.. must put on a smile and remember I am here for a reason.

This is what I have resorted to!

~KMS

1 comment: