Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How may help you?

May 18th 2010

I officially had my first day of work today at the resort. I began my drive up the mountain at 9:30 this morning to begin orientation. I made it through the cold rain and fog, passing dead deer after dead deer carcass, the amish colony and a local dive biker bar. When, just up the hidden drive way sits the sunshine and hidden heaven. The Resort. It's really oddly placed. I mean why is one of the best resorts in North America in one of the poorest county's in PA?
I was dressed to the nines in my designer tight black pants, fitted button up, and tailored jacket. I marched in to H.R. confident. Right away, they knew who I was.... they were so excited to hear about "L.A." life. I however, over prepared for my drug test.... and just wanted to use the bathroom.
After going about ten times I sat through an abundance of ridiculous videos. I do have to mention the video about the owners. Here are two professional business people, they are very smart with money, but that introductory video has to be the cheesiest, most comical thing I have ever seen. I found myself laughing a little to loud.
I didn't get to talk to a lot of people there, however one person caught me saying I lived in CA. She asked where and what I did. After I kindly responded she was so curious to know the "FAMOUS PEOPLE" I met. I just laughed it off. Most people usually respond with a "oh I've been to Vegas"... That's the big place for my town. People here either go to Vegas or Miami. That's the only vacation destination... nothing else.
I was amazed how passionate the workers are here. They LOVE there job. They have lingo's like "on property" we say "associates" not employee. Servers, not waiters, and probably a lot more that I'll fill you in on. Most important is how they stress the service skills. I'm happy that I'm getting lessons over and over on how to be nice.
They repeatedly talk about the "local" competition resorts... and how "we can be a sales person to take business away from them." I appreciate there passion, but the dynamic of their approach is almost psychotic.
The resort is a AAA five diamond and Mobil Five Star. Which is the best of the best. With this comes the highest standards possible. Due to this, in orientation, they are EXTREMELY vocal about the importance of guest relations. For someone who has never been there, it can be intense.
Later tonight I met up with an old friend who likes to surround herself with drama. I don't think this person has ever been single, relaxed, or even taken a deep breath!
The entire time we are together I do nothing but hear about her new man. Now, don't get it twisted, congrats on the new person. But people need to know when to stop! Really... I don't need to hear the encyclopedia of text messages over dinner! Literally... she sat and read me texts they shared for the past month. I think I zoned out after day 2... otherwise I would have asked her to stop.
After dinner we went to another local bar, when I walked in I saw three people I knew... all of which who have followed my career. It was kind of cool to have people ask me things. It's so weird living in such a small town, you can do the smallest projects, and have it be such a "big deal."
Tomorrow I go back to the resort. I hope to get a good nights sleep, but my father has sleep apnea and he tends to breath/snore loud. He refuses to use the machine the doctor's gave him to help him sleep. Instead, he claims "Nutri-system will help with my diet, which will help me sleep." Nutri-system and Wal-mart seem to be my fathers answers for everything.
I'm going to pick out my outfit for tomorrow. I'm considering to blend in with the rest of the "Men". Today nearly every guy wore the same middle america outfit. Baggy Khaki pants, colored shirt, with sneakers. Somehow.. that just doesn't say dressed up to me.

This is what I resorted to~

KMS

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha!! Good overview!! Keep em coming, they're great!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't born to blend in, baby. There is no such thing as a "standard issue" Shelby.

    ReplyDelete